In Pursuit

html/javascript

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Self-Leadership

I've come across a couple of principles over the past few months that have changed some of my habits. (I know I still have some habits that need to be changed but at least I'm making some progess.) I want to write about one of these principles today and hopefully will write about the second one tomorrow.

I am praying as I write this that someone will be helped but I also know it's just a good reminder for me to write these words out and to take my own inventory on how I'm doing with this.

The principle came from an article by Bill Hybels that talked about the idea of "self-leadership." His proposition was that we need to spend about half our time in self-leadership if we are going to be effective in leading others.

This means half our reading (Scriptures and otherwise) and all the activities that we are part of need to be for the purpose of building ourselves up.

I know that sounds pretty selfish and to be honest, when I first read the article, I wasn't sure I was a fan of what was being said. But after some prayer and careful consideration of my own past and those around me, I was pretty much sold on the idea. The challenge as always, is to put it into practice. One thing I have learned over the past few months is that almost everything centers around leadership.

The thinking behind all of this is that if we don't take care of ourselves, we can't take care of anyone else. Most of us have experienced the pain of knowing that we were not able to take care of those we lead because we didn't have the time to get prepared. We have appointments and "to do" lists that seem to take on a life of their own and grow right before our eyes.

The lie that many of us have bought into is that some how, some way, we will find the time to do all that is needed to be done. And in addition, we will take care of ourselves so that we can continue to give to those we lead. But to be honest, I've seen the opposite happen more. Leaders give out and give out until they have nothing more to give thinking they are being noble and self-sacrificing and doing all that God expects of them. I've been there. I know what it is to have absolutely nothing to give to folks. But I also know what it is to be ready and healthy enough to do what is needed.

There will always be needs that we can give ourselves to. But in order for us to have something to give, we need to make sure that we have done all that we need to do in order to keep ourselves physically, emotionally and spiritually healthy.

Tomorrow I want to write about the second principle discovered and also to marry the two principles together. Hope you will take the time to read those words as well.

Always In Pursuit!

No comments: