In Pursuit

html/javascript

Monday, July 26, 2010

Swindoll's New Testament Insights--Insights on John published by Zondervan

I've never reviewed a commentary before and found it to be an interesting challenge. Of course it helps that Chuck Swindoll was the author. I've never read anything he has written that was not interesting and helpful.

There is so much usable information packed into this volume that it's not something you would want to be very far from during your preparation times for teaching/preaching. But, I also found it very interesting to just read in order to know God better.

I can hear some, who tend to be very scholarly in their approach, wonder just how scholarly this commentary is. Well, since I don't consider myself to be a "scholar" I don't know that I can address that.

For those who feel it essential for a New Testament commentary to contain linguistic helps, each new section Scripture starts off with a listing of "key terms" and spends a little time describing each of these terms from a linguistic point of view. I found those very helpful and noticed these words more so and gained a better understanding of what was being communicated through these terms.

Perhaps one of the most helpful sections are the "Application" sections of the book. Each "block" of Scripture dealt with in the commentary concludes with an Application section which helps bring all that was said into a proper context and brings a fresh understanding of what John might well have been trying to get across.

I would be less than observant if I did not point out to my friends who believe in the continuation of the gifts, that Swindoll does not. There are a few places where his cessationist point of view comes through but He always recognizes the sovereignty of God as well as His goodness, grace and mercy. For example, he does not deny that God is a healer but doesn't think the gift of healing is in operation.

But he may well have dealt with this area of disagreement in his statements regarding John 17:21-23 where he remarks about Christ's prayer for unity among His followers. In regards to unity he says, "Unity is not unanimity. Unanimity requires absolute agreement on every matter, including matter of conscience and matter of opinion. While we must agree on certain crucial matters of absolute truth, we have the freedom to disagree on many matters without having to forfeit love or acceptance. Thank goodness we don't have to agree on everything, or many of the great advances in Christian ministry would never have occurred."

Chuck Swindoll is my brother in Christ even though I've never met him. He has been a blessing to me and to the entire body of Christ. I have nothing but respect for him, his integrity in ministry and the gifts that are resident within him. As a matter of fact, he is a gift to the body of Christ.

I really enjoyed the book and will look forward to adding additional volumes of this series to my library in the days ahead.

It's not a difficult read and would make a great supplement too add to your daily Bible reading; preaching/teaching preparation and just for your own greater understanding and application of God's Word.

No comments: