In Pursuit

html/javascript

Monday, December 22, 2008

Our oldest son will often respond to a statement of truth by simply saying, “word.” I think I’m too old to use that just as he is too young to say, “right on.” The two responses mean the same thing but are separated by a couple of generations. I was cool when I said, “right on” and he is cool when he says, “word.” (Cool has transcended generations but what constitutes being cool hasn’t.)

In 1975 Bill Gaither wrote a lyric in a song that was both “right on” and “word.” The song was included in Ron Huff’s musical “His Love Reaching” and was sung by Dave Boyer. The lyric is, “and the Word of the Father became Mary’s little Son.”

I don’t remember the first time I heard that song but those words have never left me. They have reminded me that the Word of the Father is reality. The Word is not just something that became reality in ages past but the Word is reality. And every Word is reality. Every promise in the Bible is “yea and amen;” every promise has my name attached to it; and every promise is as real as the Word that became Mary’s little Son.

Mary’s little Son became our Savior. Listen to this reality: “Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to YOU; he is Christ the Lord.” (Luke 2:11)

Now that’s “word.”

Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Special thanks to the research team of "Marvilous and Marvelous" for their help with the Gaither song!