In Pursuit

html/javascript

Monday, December 29, 2008

Finishing Well

A number of things are coming across my desk written around the theme of “finishing well.” I’ve also heard several NFL head coaches and players remark about how they didn’t finish well. They are now heading off to spend a quiet winter instead of the excitement of the play-off games and ultimately Super Bowl XLIII (43). I even spoke on the subject of Finishing Well this past Sunday morning. Whether I finished well or not, I can’t say. All I know is that I finished “on-time.”

As I was reading the end of a book called, “Fusion” I ran across an interesting comment by author Nelson Searcy. He noted the word “commencement” has a double meaning. Strictly defined it means “beginning.” However, when most of us think of “commencement”, we think of graduation ceremony. [In some circles a funeral is referred to as a commencement.] I would assert that in its truest definition, the word commencement means “an ending that leads to a new beginning.” I would also assert that the better the ending, the better the beginning.

In the writings of Ed Cole (Maximized Manhood and many other books) we learn how we “leave” often determines how we “enter.”

There are only a few days of 2008 left. But we can make sure we end this year with thanksgiving and with a determination to trust God’s faithfulness no matter what happens. He is near; he loves me; he hasn’t forgotten me and he is an ever present source of help to me.

Ending 2008 with those words in our hearts and on our lips will help us transition into the New Year and to boldly face the challenge that lay ahead of us. Going out with those words in my heart and on my lips will help going into the New Year and the challenges that lay ahead of us.

It’s great to be In Pursuit! Happy New Year!

No comments: