In Pursuit

html/javascript

Thursday, December 18, 2008

I’m still stuck in Galatians 4…… “In the fullness of time…God sent His Son…born of a woman…to redeem those under the law that we might receive the full rights of sons.”

My understanding is that the word used here is “adoption.” And it’s such a powerful word in the Scriptures, so much different than in our culture.

At the time of Paul’s writing, the idea of adoption provided quite a picture. A picture of someone being sold at a slave auction by slave traders. Consider human chattel lining the auction block. And in the course of bidding, someone steps up and trumps all the other bids. But instead of condemning them to a life of servitude, he turns to them and says, “Now, I want to adopt you.” “I want to make you my child and give you all the rights and privileges of being my child.”

In Scripture, “adoption” is a term of love and endearment. It refers to being “found” and indicates that we have been given a place at the table with no exclusions. And according to verse 6 of Galatians 4, there are no boundaries or margins to this relationship.

We have a place at the table and we have an unlimited intimacy with the one who purchased us. We can call him “Abba.” The closest word we have to “Abba” in our English language is the word “daddy.” It’s a term of intimate endearment. It’s an expression of a deep love, respect and awareness of who we are and who He is. Now that ought to make your Christmas merry. But there is more.

We are no longer a slave, we are a son. We are an heir. I listened intently as Pastor Crawford Loritts listed six things we are heirs to in a sermon just a few days ago. We are heirs to the: Promise, Righteousness, the Kingdom and the World. We are Heirs of God and Joint Heirs with Jesus. How’s that for some stocking stuffers?

1 comment:

Ruthie Oberg said...

Since part of my job with the State of Iowa is to try to "hook up" children in crises with families who will help to meet their needs, I LOVE stories about adoption!

The greatest adoption story of all is when Jesus saw me with all my behavioral management issues (ie, sin), and my family of origin issues (ie, original and generational sin), he still stood before the Judge and said, loudly for all to hear, "I want Ruthie to be my daughter and be part of my forever family." To top it all off, He has never treated me as anything less than a natural born child! Not too shabby for somebody with all my "issues."