In Pursuit

html/javascript

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tribute to my friend and former boss, Ron Hembree

I awoke Monday morning to news that Ron Hembree, my boss at First Assembly in Rockford, IL had passed away. It wasn't the way I would choose to start a new week off but it was what life had for us.

Ron was always one of those bigger than life guys and I just never thought there would be a time when he wouldn't be around. But as all of us will, Ron came to that point where God said it was time for him to come home. His race was completed and it was time to be with Jesus.

I remember playing racquetball with Ron. He was a bull on the court. I will have to admit that there were times during those games when I thought I was going to be with Jesus. Fortunately, the golf course proved to be a tamer venue for us. Although playing golf with Ron was likened by some other staff as being similar to the Bataan Death March. Ron always had one speed........and the pedal was always on the floor.

I learned so much from Ron during the short time I got work with him. He was big ball of energy most of the time and had a vision that truly was larger than life itself. But then he believed that God could do anything. You just never knew what was coming from him next but you knew it would be exciting and it would help proclaim the name of God in greater ways than ever. Ron was always on the lookout for new ways to tell the Old Story.

I learned more about the importance of vision and communicating vision from Ron than from anyone I've been around or from anything I've read.

During my time with Ron, he endured great tragedy. His marriage dissolved. I've never felt so sorry for someone and wanted to do something to help them but all we could do was to love him, pray for him and make sure he knew that we were standing with him. None of those things were difficult. As a matter of fact, it was an honor to stand with someone like Ron Hembree. He was a giant of a man, physically and spiritually.

One thing I remember about Ron is that I never heard him preach a bad sermon. Even on the darkest of days he put his trust in God, ask God to help and then preached a great message to the church. One of my cherished possessions is a file drawer full of every sermon Ron preached at First Assembly in Rockford, Illinois. Every once in awhile I get them out and read through one or two. For some reason I've never preached one of his sermons. But it really feels good to just read through the message and listen as I hear Ron's booming voice bring the truth and proclaim it clearly even though I knew he was hurting.

I know Ron's death is a huge loss to his family, friends and co-workers in Pittsburgh. But I also know that the God Ron was so familiar with will bring comfort and will fill the void that has been created.

Rest well my friend. Dance long and hard in the presence of a God who never stopped loving you, never was anything but faithful and who was and is able to do more than even you could imagine.

1 comment:

glorygirl said...

What a beautiful tribute! Although I didn't know him, I can picture him from your description. What an awesome story of a man who lived life well.