In Pursuit

html/javascript

Monday, December 1, 2008

Over this past weekend I was deeply challenged as I was reading from a book entitled, “Cat & Dog Theology.” The premise of this book is that some have faith much like a cat and some have faith similar to a dog. What’s the difference?

The difference is that a dog says, “You pet me, you feed, you care for me, you must be god” while a cat says, “You pet me, you feed me, you care for my every need, I must be god.”

I’ve never owned a cat but I’m told that you never really “own” a cat. You serve a cat because it’s all about them.

Anyway, the challenge came when the authors of the book started talking about how those with faith like a cat tend to reference certain passages in Scripture such as God raising Moses up to lead the Israelites out of slavery to justify their own entitlements. They are all for God’s deliverance in their lives, as we all are.

But the question was raised, “What about the other forty generations of Hebrews who lived as slaves to the Egyptians? Did God love them less? Did God have a plan for their lives? Or did God only love the generation that experienced deliverance from the Egyptians?

Of course the answer is that God loved the generations of Hebrew slaves just as much as He did the generation that came out of Egypt. And God did have a plan for the generations of slaves just as He had a plan for those He delivered.

But the plans were different. For many generations, the plan was to love God and show it by being the best slaves in the history of Egypt, to excel in the mundane of their slavery and to honor God in everything they did, even the mundane.

It just might be that we overlook the routine or the mundane as something God wants to work through. I’m all for great adventures. I’m all for any interruption God wants to bring along. But I can’t overlook my daily responsibilities as a husband, father, friend and pastor as I search for the next great adventure. If I’m not faithful in the daily routine, some of which is mundane, how can I be faithful with the great adventures?

1 comment:

Steve B said...

I like the direction of your thinking in this post. Thanks.

Steve B