In Pursuit

html/javascript

Thursday, November 6, 2008

In Pursuit

I begin two new studies this week: one is based on the New Testament letter from Paul to the Galatians, and the second one is based on a recent book by Mark Batterson, “Wild Goose Chase.” I’m excited about each of these studies because both are already speaking to me and I believe both will speak to others as well.

The letter to the Galatians was written to a group of believers to encourage them to move forward in the things of God, and to live their lives free from the things that had held them back. When you get into chapter 5 of Galatians, you realize that some of the things that held these folks captive were pretty gross. But God was offering them a sweet alternative from the way things used to be and he was willing to make all things new.

Batterson’s book, “Wild Goose Chase” is based on the Celtic Christians’ name for the Holy Spirit. According to Batterson they referred to the Holy Spirit as “An Geadh-Glas” or “the Wild Goose.”

Both studies are designed to challenge us to live differently than we have in the past. It could be something that was gross, such as the list in Galatians 5, that was holding us back, or it simply could be that God is prodding us to change, even our righteous deeds.

Recently, I completed a study on the book of Hebrews with a group of folks. Once again I was so challenged by what I learned. Whoever wrote the letter (I’m voting for Paul) was challenging a group of very devout Jews to continue their transition from Judaism to Christianity. Some were having a problem leaving the old behind and grabbing the new.

The writer of Hebrews uses a phrase that has stuck with me for several weeks. In Hebrews 10:26 he says, “if we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth……..”

For these devout Jews, “deliberately sinning” was going to back to their religious rituals, or the works of the Law. At one time these were sufficient. The Law brought them to the point of knowing they needed a Messiah. But accepting Messiah means making changes. The old ways no longer work.

Now I’m wondering as I prepare to lead the study of Galatians and “The Wild Goose Chase” just which of my old ways will no longer be sufficient. What is it that God is wanting me to do that hasn’t been a part of my regimen? And will I have problems laying down the old and picking up the new?

Pray for me and I will pray for you!

3 comments:

Kris said...

Congratulations on entering another dimension of techi - I'm very proud of you. Looking forward to some great reading!

Jim E said...

Pastor, Well done. That's two. Keep it up! Jim

Anonymous said...

"the law brought them to the point"- This phrase stuck with me. What things have I been doing in my personal devotion and ministry that has brought me to a point that now God is challenging me in new ways and ways that I have not yet experienced? My heart says "yes" but at times the cost is high. The temptation to compromise with yesterday is always present, but the words to the Galations: "It is no longer I that lives" echo louder yet- Thanks Don for always challenging me.
Dave DeHaan