In Pursuit

html/javascript

Friday, April 12, 2013

The Laments of our Lives, Part I


Recently I had the privilege of speaking to a great group of folks on the subject of our emotions and what the Bible has to say about them.

We spent time in the book of Psalms which contains “pictures” of every emotion known to man. We discovered references to joy (Psalms 16:11; 33:3) and peace (Psalms 4:8; 29:11). We found pictures of feeling secure knowing that God was our “fortress” and “strong right arm.” We also discovered that we had hope since God has taken our feet out of sinking sand and placed them on a firm foundation. We rejoice over these pictures. But there are other emotions pictured in the 150 Psalms.

Included in this list of “other emotions” are those of fear, confusion and doubt. The Psalms that give us these pictures are called “laments.” A lament is something that expresses grief or sorrow. All of the laments, except one, end up victorious. They end up proclaiming that no matter how I might feel, God is on the throne; He is my God; and the one I can put my hope in and never experience disappointment. Of the 150 Psalms, 65 or 66 of the Psalms are known as Laments? I suppose you could ignore them, as some choose to do, but then you are ignoring 1/3 of what the Holy Spirit breathed into the heart of the Psalmists. These words were intended to be words of instruction, rebuke, correction and training for us.

As I spent time reading through many of the laments, I discovered they were placed there by the breath of God for the purpose of showing me how to handle those emotions when they come along rather than allow them to handle me.

Have you ever experienced any of these emotions? What do you do with them? Do you give them room in your life or do you bring them to God; express them and then turn to Him and allow Him to bring victory about over those circumstances. Two of my favorite laments are Psalms 3 and 22.

While David was fleeing from his son Absalom he wrote what we know of as Psalm 3. Note the first four verses: Lord, How many are my foes! How many rise up against me! Many are saying of me, “God will not deliver him.” How many rise up against me! BUT you, Lord, are a shield around me, my glory, the One who lifts my head high. I call out to the Lord, and he answers me from his holy mountain.”

Perhaps the most well-known lament is Psalm 22. It was what Christ quoted from the cross. Note the first five verses with me: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from my cries of anguish? My God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night, but I find no rest.” YET you are enthroned as the Holy One; you are the one Israel praises. In you our ancestors put their trust; they trusted and you delivered them. To you they cried out and were saved; in you they trusted and were not put to shame.”

Notice the expressed grief and sorrow but also notice the use of the word “BUT” in Psalm 3 and the word “YET” in Psalm 22. Things may get bad for us but there is always a “BUT” and a “YET” available to us. We don’t have to give in to our emotions and allow them to control us but we can give them to God and move forward in the things He has for us and know that there is victory coming our way.

Always in Pursuit!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Picture me standing on top of a chair shouting YES! And AMEN!!!!! This is how we overcome!!!!!!!!! Getting down off my chair now....