In Pursuit

html/javascript

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Nevertheless

The idea of the Messiah being born to a virgin was something that brought great hope to every Jewish man for centuries. Nevertheless, I wonder if their hope was for the daughter of another to be chosen.

One resource I read during preparation for the second Sunday of Advent (December 6) challenged me to read the words of Gabriel to the Virgin Mary as asking "permission" rather than giving a "command." To be honest, I'd never done that before but as I read through the words with that attitude, I discovered that Mary's willingness was key to everything the angel said. She did have a choice.

Fortunately, she was willing. She was willing to be momma before her time.She was willing to deal with the "looks" and the whispers behind her back. She was willing to deal with the possibilities of being turned out by Joseph and perhaps even being stoned, although I would assume she had more confidence in Joseph and his love for her AND for God than to think he might have her stoned. Nevertheless, it was still a possibility she was willing to deal with.

She was a willing servant to the Lord Most High. And once that was established, the Holy Spirit could "come upon" her and "overshadow her" in order to usher the Messiah to the earth.

I was reminded a bit of the three Hebrew princes in Daniel 3. They were called to live their lives in a "willing" manner as well. They faced a fired up king and furnace. Their words to Nebuchadnezzar stand out: "the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your had, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold."

I think Mary had the same attitude. I'm will to do this no matter what happens. Hoping for the best but nevertheless, I'm the Lord's servant. May it be to me as you have said.

Made me think a bit.....but that's what Advent is all about, isn't it?

Next week, the Wise Men.

Always in Pursuit!

1 comment:

Linda Livengood said...

It is impossible to anticipate the full impact of our willingness to be used of the Lord. I don't think we are really able to count the cost or the blessing of being obedient even though we may consider and reconsider what the outcome of our obedience would be. We need to just do it. Obey out of the Spirit of Christ in us - before our dumb mind gets in the way!
Thanks Don - It will be fun to talk to Mary when we get to heaven.