In Pursuit

html/javascript

Thursday, March 19, 2009

I had an interesting experience this morning while preparing for my Sunday school lesson on 1 Corinthians 13, the love chapter. (I can always hear the television announcer from the popular show, “The Love Boat” when I talk about the love chapter.)

As I was doing some background reading on the chapter, I noted the word used for love in 1 Corinthians 13, “agape” was coined specifically for New Testament writers. This word did not exist in classical Greek. In other words, if you read something written in Greek other than the Scriptures, you wouldn’t find the word “agape.”

In classical Greek there were several words for “love” each denoting brotherly love, emotional love or physical love however none of these words describe the kind of love God exhibited when He sent His one and only son or the love that God desires to see within His family.

So, once again I discovered a time when there just weren’t words to describe God. He is beyond human explanation. I’m reminded of Ephesians 3:20 “Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,” (NIV)

It only makes sense that if he is able to work beyond what we can imagine, we just won’t be able to find the words to describe Him.

There just aren’t words……..


Always in Pursuit

1 comment:

Pastor Gary Pilcher said...

Great thoughts, Don! I think we are in great danger when we think we have God all figured out. He is beyond words. I'm thankful He has provided a way for us to go beyond words and praise Him in the Spirit!