In Pursuit

html/javascript

Monday, March 30, 2009

As I was leading a study on “The Love Chapter,” 1 Corinthians 13, I spent time on the words Paul uses to define this love, “agape.” Beginning in verse 4, he proceeds to use several phrases to describe this type of love. Of course the prototype definition is found in John 3:16, where we read that God has so much love (agape) for man that he sent his one and only son to die so that whoever believes may have eternal life. I’m part of the “whoever group” just as you are if you have received Christ as your Savior.

As I was going through the phrases Paul uses to define “agape” in 1 Corinthians 13, I discovered that love never really allows sin in someone else’s sin to stop me from being kind to them, or thinking the best of them, nor should it stop me from wanting the best for them. Agape does not allow me to be suspicious or jealous of them, and it certainly should take away any joy I might experience as they “reap what they deserve.” Agape is selfless.

Agape always wants the best, (of course this is Jesus); agape always celebrates when good things happen to others as well as to me; and agape always hopes for the best no matter what the circumstances may appear to be.

Paul simply ends this admonition to walk in “agape” love by saying that even though God has some pretty cool things waiting for us, such as the spiritual gifts described in the previous chapter, the only thing that will be left standing in the end is love.

As a pastor, I’m often wondering how effective programs and other plans that we hatch are going to be. I should remember that none of those things will make a difference if there is not “agape.”

This Scripture reminded me that it really doesn’t matter if I attend a Seeker Sensitive Church or an Emergent Church or perhaps even a Traditional one. If love is not there, it won’t matter.

Always In Pursuit!

1 comment:

Fidel Henderson said...

Love always gathers it people. Perhaps without love everything is dead.