In Pursuit

html/javascript

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I usually spend Monday afternoons in a coffee shop where I read, write, listen to one of my favorite Bible teachers and spend time reflecting on what God is saying. Recently I stopped and looked at the table I was sitting at and had a good laugh at myself.

On the table, next to a great cup of coffee, were my laptop, I-pod, cell phone, and a memory stick. I took two phone calls on my cell, answered one text message, sent out a text message and down loaded a new pod cast onto my I-pod. And I don’t consider myself to be very high tech.

Just a few years ago, none of that technology was even available let alone found on my table for me to use and that with a certain amount of self-confidence.

I was very quickly reminded what God spoke through the prophet Isaiah, in Isaiah 43:19. There he proclaims, “See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland."

I realize the context of Isaiah 43 was the restoration of Israel, but I also believe God has given us these tools of technology to use for restoration as well. Just as God was concerned with the restoration of Israel, He is concerned with the restoration of all who remain alienated from Him.

These are not my father’s tools for ministry nor will they be tools of ministry for my sons. But they are tools that God has provided for me, and I intend to use them as tools. They are neither to be worshiped nor feared, but used to help restore hearts to the Father. These devices are part of the “new thing” God is doing among us.

Verse 18 of Isaiah 43 is a good reminder to those of us who feel overwhelmed with all the changes going on. It says, “Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.”

He didn’t say the former things were wrong, just “former.” But he did say not to dwell on the past.

Being in pursuit of God means that I am always looking ahead for him rather than behind me, other wise it would be a chase and not a pursuit!

Enjoy the new things of the Lord today and tomorrow and every day after that He gives to you!

Always In Pursuit!

No comments: